Thursday, June 7, 2018

Retired teacher transitioned into busy new passion spreading music and laughter



 By Louise Rachlis

In the past 15 years, “inspiration architect” Paddy Stewart has  focused much of his unique blend of laughter, music and group participation on seniors with dementia.

“Family, Fun, Fitness, and Music: these are the 4 pillars of my life,” he says. “This is what I do. I do these things because I love them and they give me purpose to boot! Music, laughter, and movement are the basis of my work.”

Several seniors’ homes have him in monthly to share fun and music with those on their Special Care floor. “I love working with these intimate groups of six to 15 people,” he says. “I know most of their names and go around to say hello and shake hands before we begin. This close personal greeting helps to engage folks.”  




He also designs sessions for other specific groups and audiences “to lift hearts, raise spirits, and foster cohesion,” said the 73-year-old who runs over 100 sessions professionally each year. He devises  “appropriate songs, fun, and actions for a wide range of people, continuing to acquire and develop new strategies for people to lighten up and interact.” 

Stewart loves to do Team Building sessions and sets up different actions and music for each specific group, from 10 to 100 in size, and all ages from day care to seniors; more formal team building sessions with people in health care, education and government, often at Volunteer Recognition events.

He’s always looking at new ways to involve his special care seniors. “I use bells, shakers, and Boom Whackers. I’ve made rhythm sticks and most of the folks can copy certain rhythms. I’ve devised plastic washboards that make lots of noise. I get staff, volunteers or visitors to help blow bubbles while we sing ‘I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles!’ We bat balloons around. I have an indoor parachute that provides a novel experience. I develop a theme around each month for the songs we sing. We also sing all the old songs and they love the banjelele! (part ukulele, part banjo).”

At two of his seniors’ homes, children from nearby day cares join in and he entertains the whole crew. “I set up ways for the children to interact with the seniors and it is a wonderful joyful experience for all. At these sessions, I work with the general population and some folks with dementia are brought in to take part.”

He’s also working on developing a session for both people with early onset Dementia and their partner/care giver. “This would combine the kinds of songs and entertainment that I use together with some of the Team Building activities. This is a wonderful way to engage folks socially with fun and music. Since there will probably be some dancing, this looks like a party!”

Stewart never stops. Coming up in June and beyond he has an end of term celebration for a City of Ottawa Acquired Brain Injury Group; a Team Building session with SHAD Valley grade 11 students; a bunch of regular clients, plus his monthly seniors home sessions and sessions to provide music for the residents and staff of Rotary Homes.

When he retired from teaching in 2000, he began his new “career” as a self-styled Inspiration Architect.

He and his wife Linda have been married for 49 years and  enjoy various sports, their fitness routine enriched at the Crossfit gym their son Andy opened two years ago.

Stewart loves to play music and sing with his guitar, and Linda is a pianist. In May, the two played music for Roger Nielson House at their twice a year Star Ceremony for children who have passed away.

Back in the 1980s, he began playing music at CHEO and the former Rideau Veterans Home.  “When I walked in with my guitar and a bag of fun toys, the nurses would gather together chairs for a few four- and five-year-olds and sometimes a parent or two in the hallway and away we’d go! ‘Skinnamarink’ and ‘If You’re Happy’ were always favourites… It was a marvelous experience. Then I’d go almost next door to the Rideau Veterans Home. There would be a few lads in the common room and I’d play some of the War songs I learned from my parents like ‘Pack Up Your Troubles’ and ‘Lili Marlene.’”


You can find out more about Paddy Stewart’s activities at www.paddystewart.com .

No comments:

Post a Comment